Tuesday 9 December 2014

Christmas Songs, me and Mari Wilson, Metronomy and more

This is such a wonderful time of year. The old year draws to a close, the nights get longer and longer as we head towards the winter solstice, and certainly my thoughts turn towards the new year and all the wonderful things looming.



This year though there's such a lovely run of shows with Mari Wilson and I, and the utterly fabulous Alastair Gavin on piano. Singing with one of your best mates is one thing, but when those best mates are some of the best singers in the western world, it just makes it all a total joy. We opened at Crazy Coqs on Sunday and had such a terrific show. The audience went bonkers with joy, singing along to the Christmas songs and laughing at all the shenanigans. There's more this week and next before I get my break-ette for the holidays. Here they are at the bottom of this blog - Brighton this friday 12th December, The Vortex Jazz Bar this coming saturday the 13th, Altrincham on the 17th, Greenham on the 19th and Maidstone on the 21st.



And in my time there've been 2 Christmas songs. One I wrote with The Three Courgettes and I still love it and remember it with great fondness. It was originally recorded for the Zee Christmas album, when we were on Island records. Which feels like a very long time ago.


Then a couple of years ago, we took my version of Joni Mitchell's classic Christmas song, River from Stockport to Memphis and added the Northampton Royal and Derngate Gospel Choir at Simon Wallace's Underhill Studios with choral director Gareth Fuller's help. That's here -


There've been some fabulous films around. Mr Turner is worth the length and the James Brown film made me ring Jessica Lauren in the middle of the night to talk funk.

So the Christmas wreath is on the door and a little tree is my this week's purchase, and I'm clearing shelves and preparing for the dance between the years where New York City beckons -

http://54below.com/artist/barb-jungr/

Here's to joy and peace for all. Namaste.

And here's a metronomy video I love…..



Our Christmas show dates 





























No comments:

Post a Comment